Saturday, March 3, 2012

Nom Pao aka Steamed Buns

So with all the foods I have been craving lately, I have been reaaallly wanting some steamed buns.  So I decided to make some on a gloomy Saturday afternoon when I told myself I would be packing.  Oh well, I can't pass up on cooking when I have the urge!  I have been feeling like a bum since I got pregnant and it's nice to actually want to cook again.  =)  Here is the recipe i followed which was tweaked a bit..

Nom Pao aka Steamed Buns










 Nom Pao is the Cambodian name for Chinese Steamed Buns.  I used pork, Chinese sausage, and eggs.  I personally don't like too much of the bread and love the filling.  That's why I'd rather make them than buy them.


 **warning- I LOVE garlic and spices, so you may adjust your seasoning to your taste..and these are estimates, I usually don't measure too much**

Ingredients

1 Package of Banh Bao mix (can be found in your local asian store)
1/2 lb of ground pork (or you can buy lean pork and ground it yourself)
3  hard boil eggs, cut into quarters, lengthwise
3 Chinese sausages (cooked), 2 I used sliced, and 1 I diced and put into the filling mixture
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons vinegar
12 pieces of  wax paper,  cut into 3x3 inches
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup of sugar


 Filling
 
1/2 lb ground pork
1 small onion, diced
2 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoon black pepper

The Dough

Follow the instructions on the back of your package.  
Dissolve the sugar in the milk.  Slowly add the flour mix  (reserve a couple tablespoons for kneading your dough and your workspace).  Knead for about 15 minutes.  Transfer to bowl and cover for about 30 minutes.  Once ready, roll the dough into the shape of a long loaf of bread.  I cut mine evenly into about 12 pieces.  Cover with a damp towel until it is ready for use.

The Filling

Mix together the ground pork, minced garlic, diced onion, oyster sauce, diced Chinese Sausage, and black pepper.

 Forming the bun

Bring a pot of water (this is around 10 cups or so but depends on what type of pot you may be using) and add the vinegar. Allow it to boil.

In the meantime, roll out a piece of the dough thinly with a rolling pin, using the reserved flour to dust your work space and rolling pin.  First lay a couple slice of Chinese sausage. Then add about 1 tablespoon (or more) of filling and top it with an egg quarter.  Gather the sides to the center, twist and pinch and push down gently to seal the bun.   Lay the bun on a piece of wax paper. Keep forming until you have made about 12 buns.
Lay the buns on a steamer, making sure to leave enough space in between because the buns will expand.  Steam the buns for about 20 minutes, lift off the lid, and steam for about another 10 minutes.  Now they are ready to be devoured!  Happy eating!!!


3 comments:

  1. Heeeeyyyyy save me some buns fooooollll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delisho...I tried out the recipe and can't stopping eating them. Matter of fact I am crumbling all over the keyboard as I'm typing. Thank you. You are the best!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. dishoom edinburgh breakfast

    ReplyDelete